Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Sunday, September 11, 2005

I Hate Sundays

I really do. Sacreligious or not. I don't like Sundays. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the day after Sunday is Monday, which means back to work. Whatever the reason, I think Sunday is the most boring day of the week.

I had hoped to do something fun today and not spend my time chained to my computer all day, but alas, here I am. I figured I should plan my lessons for next week seeing as how tomorrow is the first day of school and all before going out. Well, it is now 2:30 and I have just finished. Oh well.

So here are some of the highlights of my week:

THURSDAY:
All around it was a pretty exciting day. I had my General "Getting to know the Teacher" Parents' meeting at 3. I was kind of nervous about it, so you can imagine my relief when the principal came up to me and said "You're going to have to speak quickly at your meeting today." Apparently, I had to leave the school at 3:15 to go to the Questura to get my Permesso di Sogiorno (i.e. the police station for my Permit of Stay). FUN!

So I went to my meeting, dashed out after 15 minutes and went to the police station with about 6 other teachers in the school bus.

The guy at the police station just asked me a few questions, like when I arrived and where I lived. Then he stamped my Permesso and that was it. Apparently though the document I have is not the actual thing. I have to go back in three weeks to pick up the real thing. But not really. They don't care if you do or not. Ah, Italy.

Then I went to the gym near my house for the Tone Up class. It was a very interesting experience, and totally not like gyms back home at all. But oh well. I think the guy in the tight grey tights with the pink shirt, white thong (see through pants), blue eyeshadow and pink lipstick made the journey to the gym worthwhile. It was an experience.

FRIDAY:
Gigi (my roommate) and I went over to her/our friend Pelo's house for dinner. He coooked. YUM. Then he dropped us off close to the city centre where we met up with some other teachers who were having a spritz. We all meandered over to the Danish Pub where more teachers were. We were all just sitting there talking when all of a sudden, "the boys" walk in! It was a cool coincidence. "The boys" are the friends Gigi made when she was here last summer (Lucio, Pelo (nickname), Max, Filippo, Graspa (nickname), Fabbio, etc.). So they joined us for some wine. It was a fun time.

SATURDAY:
I WENT TO VENICE!!! Finally!!! It was so amazing. I really like Venice actually, but not Piazza San Marco. The Piazza was totally packed with about a gazillion tourists and an equal number of pigeons! It was crazy! Also, I don't find the Piazza to be particularly beautiful architecture wise. But that's just me.

I went by myself and wandered around for a few hours before meeting up with Filippo, who happened to be in Vencie at some art exhibit thing. We wandered around a bit, took a traghetto to the other side of the Grande Canal, had some wine and sandwiches, and then went home to Padova. It was pretty fun.

The best part is that it is only 2.50 Euro and a 30 minute ride on the train to Venice. Very cool!

When I got back, I opened up a shared pictures website. Click here.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:56 pm, September 13, 2005, Blogger Just Say No said…

    And no picture of the guy in the thong and eyeshadow so I could mercilessly mock him? How sad :(

    I don't like how EU cities make foreigners register. For some reason, I have visions of being woken up in the night, dragged into the streets and burned on a cross. But that's just me and my issues, oh well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home