Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Friday, July 15, 2005

No Publicos???

Public transportation in the Dominican Republic is definitely an experience. You can forget about buses, subways, and streetcars with schedules, and fixed routes. If you want to go somewhere by public transportation, look no further than a gua gua, or the ever present, ever popular publico.

Publicos, or public cars, are on every main street in Santo Domingo. They only go one way: derecho (straight). They travel up streets, and down streets. They honk mercilessly at passers-by. They are usually crammed with people (think clown car here). And they are also the most beat up, shit-box cars you have ever seen! Usually they are missing parts, like windows, doors, or fenders. They have innumerable dents and dings in the doors, bumpers, and back and front ends. The windsheilds are often cracked, sometimes to the point of almost falling out. The interiors are also usually falling apart. Sometimes the doors don't open and you have to climb in and out of the window. The front seat might be held up by a piece of rope tied across the width of the car. To top it all off, most of them have been re-engineered to run on propane instead of gasoline since it is cheaper.

I didn't travel in publicos often. Being crammed in a small, non-airconditioned car with several people was not my preferred method of transport. Not to mention that publico drivers are crazy (which explains all the dents), and I didn't particulary enjoy the idea of getting into some kind of accident whlist sitting atop a propane tank. Barbeque anyone?

So I am sure you can imagine my delight to return to the organized, safe, and efficient public transportation system in Toronto. Since my arrival in Toronto, I have been TTC'ing it everywhere, as usual. Today was no exception. I got on the subway at around 4:45 on my way to a 5:30 class at the gym. No problem. Plenty of time to get there. Except that there was a "situation" at Shepard station. The trains were being turned back at Lawrence (two very far subway stops away), and a shuttle bus was running up Yonge, north of Lawrence. Great. Two stops away, and twenty minutes until the start of my class.

I headed up to street level with the throngs of displaced commuters, only to find that it was raining lightly. And not a shuttle bus in sight. Lovely.

Where's a publico when you need one???

If there were ever a time when I would have relished being packed into the equivalent of a sardine can on wheels, this was it. But alas, it was not to be. There are no publicos in Canada. Having no other northbound option but my feet, I decided to WALK. In the rain. I am not sure what I was thinking, since I knew I wasn't going to make it to the gym on time by walking. But still. 20 minutes later, I got to York Mills subway station only to find that the delay had been cleared and the northbound trains were up and running again. Figures.

If I were staying here, I would consider starting a publico company. I wonder if it would work. One way for $1. Could catch on, don't you think? Of course, I would need to be able to drive...... D'oh!!

7 Comments:

  • At 4:42 am, July 17, 2005, Blogger Just Say No said…

    That and we have publicos here already. They are called "taxis" though and you need a license to legally operate them. Details details :)

     
  • At 4:49 am, July 17, 2005, Blogger Going Somewhere said…

    Publicos and taxis are not the same, since you share publicos with like, as many other people as can fit in the damn thing. Plus, it is only $10 pesos for one way (like, 40 cents), as opposed to $120 pesos one way. And publicos don't take you exactly where you want to go, they only take you up the street. And who needs a license anyways???

     
  • At 5:15 am, July 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Toronto would also greatly benefit from Motoconchos. You know, to service the areas outside TTC coverage. Of course, helmets would be worn there, and not just on the elbows like down here. Something else to ponder...

     
  • At 12:42 pm, July 17, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i didn't realize you had picked up so much of the language!

     
  • At 8:28 pm, July 17, 2005, Blogger Going Somewhere said…

    yeah...I am pretty much fluent in Spanish now. But I don't get to practice anymore :(

     
  • At 3:28 am, July 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You were going to the gym, right?
    Doesn't walking equal to excercise? so you see, no point actually getting there, if you had to walk there.
    By the way, you forgot to mantion that publicos are shared by strange people, as in 7 sweaty, smelly stranges cramped up in a car. important detail, don't you think?

     
  • At 5:57 am, July 27, 2005, Blogger aussie wannabe said…

    too funny!!!! lol!!!:P I dont think you wanna ruin the reputation of canada by adding publicos to the transportation there. nah! I think a good walk can't kill ya, and God knows, a publico ride just might ;).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home