Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Friday, June 24, 2005

Puerto Plata

Our trip to Puerto Plata was nice and relaxing, which was great because as I found out when I got there, I REALLY needed it!

We arrived Monday night around 7:30 pm, after a three and a half hour drive. The drive itself was pretty uneventful. We played "Name that Roadkill" for a while. Mostly dogs and such, but there was one animal that left us stumped. To me it looked like a young bear, but there are no bears here. After seeing a live donkey grazing on the side of the road on the way back, I think that's what it might have been, which makes a lot more sense than the bear theory. And just for the record, I know that bears and donkeys look nothing alike. We were driving fast. It was dead. Cut me a little slack.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we checked in and proceeded to our room. It was nicer than the other rooms I had stayed in previously at that hotel. Then it was off to dinner. After dinner we both crashed so that we could get up bright and early for our touristy snorkelling trip the next day.

I woke up Tuesday morning all ready to go, jumped in the shower, AND.....got a migraine. BOO! No snorkelling for me. So, I went straight back to bed while George ran around looking for Advil since I couldn't find the bottle that I thought I had brought with me.

He finally found some at the hotel store and saved me from my pounding head. It was so bad that the pillow was hurting me. It felt like I was resting my head on rocks. I've never had that happen before. I thought is was a bit strange, but then again, the pillow was a little on the lumpy side. I guess anything is possible.

I slept until about 11 am, and then made another go at getting up and starting my day. Everything was fine after that, and we enjoyed the rest of our trip, which included lots of eating and lounging in air-conditioned comfort. I didn't really work on my tan, but I don't care. I was just so happy to be able to escape the heat. Living in the tropics sure does change your priorities a little. We didn't end up going snorkelling, but that's ok. I don't really like putting my face in the ocean anyways. I think it's all the salt.

And that was it. Pretty uneventful, to tell you the truth. Just the way it should be. Oh, and by the way, I found my Advil while packing up to go home. Of course.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home