Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Friday, June 17, 2005

Almost...But Not Quite

They say "almost" only counts in horseshoes. If that's true, then bring on the horses because I am so ready to be done, done, done. Right now, I am only almost done, and since we have already determined that almost doesn't count, I am up the figurative creek.

Let me explain:

The terms and conditions as laid out by the school are that foreign hire teachers (insert me) will receive their last paycheck and end-of-year bonus when, and only when, they hand in the keys to the apartment that the school has provided.

Sounds simple, right? HA HA HA. Like I said before, "Nothing can be simple at that place."

Problem Number 1: In order to hand over your keys in the first place, SHE needs to come and check out the apartment. You know, to make sure we haven't written on the walls, sold the furniture, smuggled the TV in our suitcase, whatever.

Problem Number 2: If you are handing over the keys, then it goes without saying that you can no longer use the apartment, which means that you have to hand over the keys on the day you are leaving. Presumably, on your way to the airport.

Problem Number 3: Now that you have handed over your keys on the way to the airport, you receive your money in: Dominican Pesos. When, pray tell, do you hope to exchange your money? In my case this is particulary a problem since there is only one place that sometimes sells Canadian.

Such fun.

I am leaving the DR on the 27th, but I have to be out of the apartment by the 20th. Since I want to be rid of that woman, and because I am going to Puerto Plata on the 20th, I decided that I was going to move out this week. I am all packed up and ready to go.

But...

I am stuck on problem number 1. My roommate and I had asked (about 4 times, mind you) for her to come to the apartment today at noon. She said "Just call me." So we did. Today. At noon. She had gone out. And nobody knows when she will be back. AUGH!!!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home