Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Friday, June 10, 2005

Case In Point

I know I have made reference to some of you about the fact that the director and owner of the school where I work is well, a few sandwiches short of a picnic, to say the least. And I know some of you think it can't possibly be as bad as I make it out to be. But it is. Let me share this little anecdote with you as an example of what goes on 'behind the scenes:'

Today was "Color Day" at school, which means that instead of wearing the school uniform, students had the option of paying $10 pesos to wear normal clothes. When it is a color day, some staff take the opportunity to wear jeans to school--which we are normally not allowed to do. The verdict is still out on whether we are actually allowed to wear jeans on color days or not, but some staff like to take chances.

Yesterday, my roommate was one of those staff memebers. Since she usually plays by the rules, she was a little nervous about what might happen to her because she wore jeans (we had a 10 minute discussion before we left for school about wearing jeans, was I wearing jeans, should she wear jeans, etc.) She even took a pair of other pants to school just in case. When she came across our immediate supervisor, the elementary principal (not the crazy one), she asked if it was ok that she came in jeans, and she got the following reply, which we both found quite surprising and funny at the same time: "Well, it's ok with me, but I don't know what SHE will say. Last week when it was raining, I wore jeans, and SHE wasn't very happy about it. But you know how it is here, one day it's not ok, the next day it is. Next week, who knows [accompanied by dismissive arm gesture and eye-rolling]!"

We were so floored that the principal actually said that! All of us know how it goes at that place, and the teachers talk amongst themselves about it, but for her to say something! WOW!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home