Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

It Really IS a Small World After All

I swear I am in Toronto right now, having left the sweltering stickiness that is Santo Domingo during the summer in a wake of jet fumes. If so, then why do things that "only happen in the DR" KEEP happening to me?!?!?

In the past 60 hours I have experienced the following Dominicanisms:

1) Sudden loss of internet connection for no apparent reason. Attemts to reset both internet and computer fail.

2) Traffic lights out, and cops in yellow vests directing vehicular flow at the intersection.

3) Going inside while the sky is clear only to reemerge about 5-10 minutes later in a torrential downpour that lasts for about 15 minutes.

4) Waiting for a delivery guy who finally shows up 2 and a half hours late.

5) The "clap clap clap-clap-clap" method of getting a large group of children's attention (apparently this is not just an International School thing....who knew?)

It almost feels like I never left. I guess the world really is a small place after all.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home