Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Come Fly With Me

Home. Finally. But not without a mis-adventure or two in customary Travel Bug fashion. It seems that flying from Santo Domingo to Toronto on a connecting flight without SOMETHING going wrong is nearly impossible. So far, 3 out of 4 returns have been harrowing, and anxiety-filled.

Once agian I took part in the annual sprint across the Miami airport to catch my connecting flight. I think I even managed to shave a few mintues off my best time which I set last year. I should probably look into calling the IOC to see about making it an official sport. Maybe I could be the first to win a gold medal for Canada. But only if I am wearing my flip-flops!

My luggage also took a small detour, with half of it prolonging its vacation in Miami. The other bag turned up late, on the missing baggage cart that they miraculously located about 30 minutes after they finished unloading all the other luggage. To top it all off, when I finally got it, it was soaking wet! I wouldn't have bothered doing laundry over the weekend if I knew my bag was going to stop for a swim in the ocean before it got to me. Granted, it was raining in Miami at the time, but what did they do? Leave it in a puddle?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they have covered little luggage carts for exactly that reason?

My delayed bag, as they like to call it (I prefer "lost"), remains to be located. Perhaps it is still frolicking in the puddles of the Miami airport.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:46 pm, June 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It sounds like mentally, spiritually and yes, even physically, it was your time to go back home and rest before taking on a new adventure.

    But perhaps your luggage was not "there" yet...

     
  • At 2:50 am, June 29, 2005, Blogger aussie wannabe said…

    How horrible!!! You know, I wouldn't give that "delayed" bag too much hope, so I hope you didn't have anything valuable in it!!! :( Glad to know you're home though, talk to you soon!!!!

     
  • At 4:43 am, June 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    my husband's luggage went awol when he went to jamacia on business, it went to kingston ontario and then kingston jamacia, he never did get it when he was away and it arrived back at our home about a month after the trip.
    and yeah and welcome back!
    (aka janie q)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home