Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Monday, January 23, 2006

Run, Run, As Fast As You Can

Well, I've started running (perhaps more like jogging). I know. I am pretty surprised about it myself. But I just had to do something.

I think it was Thursday that pushed me over the edge. All I know is that I left school in desperate need of working up a sweat just to burn off all that stress. If I had just come home and stayed in like usual, I would have gone mad.

So I got home and more or less told Alison we were going running. She runs already, so I knew I wouldn't have much convincing to do on her part. We ran for about a half an hour, which I think is pretty good since a) I don't run as a form of excercise, b) that really was my very first run ever, and c) I haven't worked out since I left Toronto. Afterwards I felt so great that I decided to keep it up.

Today is now my third day going for a run, and I think I am doing pretty well. I mean, I haven't keeled over yet, so that's gotta count for something right? I am going to go every other day for at least 30 minutes. It's better than nothing, especially since I have not joined, and will not join, a gym here in Padova (I just can't bring myself to spend roughly $70 CDN per month when the gyms have one excercise bike, one treadmill, no cross-trainers, and one muscle toning class--no step or pilates).

2 Comments:

  • At 8:14 pm, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    just be careful, remember the bike mishap.

     
  • At 8:01 pm, January 27, 2006, Blogger Going Somewhere said…

    bsts: I will be careful, thanks! I go running on a path through a park area and then along the river, so hopefully I should be mishap free. No cars or streetcar tracks to worry about.

    sfd: It is a little difficult to make friends with the locals. Most outings are with other teachers from the school, or friends I met in the Italian for Foreigners class that I was taking. There is not much opportunity to meet Itlians except out at bars, etc. But in those instances, it is only the men, and really I have to say I am just not interested.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home