Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Thursday, January 19, 2006

And It's Only Thursday

Well I must say it has been quite the week in Miss Sarah's second grade class, and it ain't over yet.

First thing Monday morning one of my lovely students threw up all over the floor. Luckily I had my planning meeting at that time, so I only got to hear all about it (and smell it when I went up to my room to get something), but trust me, that was enough.

Tuesday morning one of the kids in my math group drew a big fat naked picture of the male music teacher in his math notebook, instead of doing his work (Mez, I can now totally relate to your picture story. I thought the damn thing was hilarious myself. What is it with music and dirty pictures anyways?).

While I was showing the principal the music teacher's portrait, I noticed that it had begin to snow--light, powdery snow. And it kept snowing all day, which meant the kids couldn't go out for recess or lunch. By the time we went home after the staff meeting, it had progressed to big, fluffy, Canada-style flakes.

When we woke up Wednesday morning, there was snow all over the trees and things, but not on the ground. It was all wet and melty. Which of course meant that the kids couldn't go out for recess and lunch again. Joy. For those of you who don't know, keeping kids locked up in a room for 7 and a half hours straight is not a good thing. At least mine had gym yesterday so they could run around for a bit. Not that that matters at 3:30 in the afternoon, but still. To top it all off, one of my students has pink eye, so I have been administering drops twice a day. Since when did I become a nurse? Of course he is the silly kid, so he takes that opportunity to walk around like a mummy bumping into things after I have put the drops in his eyes.

Then today it was icy in the morning, so guess what??? That's right!!! Wet play for recess and lunch AGAIN!!!!! I am telling you, by 3:15 today, we were all ready to lose it!!! If we have wet play again tomorrow, I am going to boycott and send the kids out anyways. It is either that or lose what little is left of my sanity!

One thing I did get a chuckle out of today was our science lesson. We are studying the human body and making body cut-outs and gluing our organs on them. Today was brain and face day. It is really funny to hear yourself say:

"Do you have a brain?"
"Where's your brain?"
"Why don't you have a brain?"

and hearing them say:

"I need a brain."
"I don't have a brain."
"I lost my brain."

I think my assistant and I had more fun than the kids with that one.

Tomorrow *should* be ok? My kids have an extra Italian lesson to make up from last week when the teacher wasn't there, so at least I won't have them all day tomorrow like I usually do. My only hope is that we go out for recess and lunch. *hope, hope, hope*

2 Comments:

  • At 12:55 am, January 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    lol, finally - someone else who has kids that draw naked pictures!

    I *LOATHE* inside lunch/recess timetable. We have this thing here where if it goes above 35 degrees c, they get to stay inside as well! Hot sweaty kids inside. oh joy!

     
  • At 4:24 pm, January 22, 2006, Blogger Going Somewhere said…

    Yikes! That sounds pretty bad.

    Oh, and for the record, Friday was indoor all day too. 4 consecutive days!!! *gah*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home