Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Time to Bring the Cow

I'm going to Florence and Siena! :) I just booked my bed at the hostel, and bought my 10 Euro Happy Train ticket for Friday evening. I am so excited!

The precursor to my decision to go this Friday follows below:

This weekend was a four day weekend. Yesterday and today were holidays because today is All Saint's Day. For weeks, everyone had been talking about what they were going to do and where they were going to go for the four-day weekend. I, of course, had no plans, and couldn't decide what to do with my four days off. Part of me wanted to travel around, and part of me wanted to just stay home at my apartment (my other two roommates were off exploring) and relax!!!

I considered going to Rome, Florence and Siena, maybe Sicily, but never really decided on anything solid.

So, Friday and Saturday I just ended up chillin' out, but started to feel guilty about living in Europe and not making the most of every minute by seeing as much as possible whenever possible.

By Saturday night I had decided that I wanted to go to Florence and Siena to visit the old "stomping ground" from my trip here in '99. Well of course by that point all the hostels were booked for the next night, and I didn't want to risk going all the way to Florence and not having anywhere to sleep.

Then it dawned on me that I could go on a Friday to Florence and come back Sunday night with a stop in Siena on Saturday, since all I really want to do there is walk around and re-visit the town that was my home for 6 weeks 6 years ago.

I started checking out train fares, and happened across the Happy Train, which takes me from Vicenza to Florence Friday evening for only 10 Euro! Perfect. But could I get to Vicenza in time? I checked the schedule, and indeed I could! So I thought about what I wanted to see and if I had enough time to see it between Friday night and Sunday evening, and indeed I did!

So today I booked my room and Happy Train ticket. :) I am excited to go! It will be nice to stroll through some familiar territory here in Italy. I can go to that cafe in Siena that I stopped at every morning on my way to class. Amble through Il Campo where I spent so many evenings chatting with friends. Trek the hilly terrain that used to be my playground.

Maybe being in my home away from home here in Italy will help ground me and make me feel more "at home."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home