Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Friday, October 21, 2005

Still Broken

After my horrible day at the clinic yesterday I decided to call my friend doctor to see what could be done next. I told him that I had gone to the clinic and that when they tired to page him, he was in surgery, so they would not help me at all. He was like "No!" I said oh yes, that they told me to go away (not nice!!!). Since he was working today, he told me to go to emergency after school and call him when I got there.

So after school, I rode my bike to the hospital and called him on my cell phone. I have decided to avoid dealing with the nurses at the reception desks AT ALL COSTS! He came out, told the nurse he had to see me, and took me with him to the examining room, got me x-rays, etc.

Here is how it all went:

I removed the bionic thumb costume. He looked at the previous x-rays, told me the swelling that I still have is normal, squeezed my thumb a bit here and there asking if it hurt, and then asked me to bend my thumb. And I did.....about 4 millimeters. It doesn't bend. At all.

Then he sent me to get some x-rays and I waited around to be called back in to the examining room. When I was called in again, I came in to find him frowning at my latest x-rays. The first thing he asked me when I sat down was if I had been wearing my bionic thumb at all times. I said yes. Then he put my x-rays up on the light board and we went to look at them. I walked over, looked at the x-rays, and said:

"It's still broken."

Yes indeed. My fracture is totally separated. Even the part that was together last time I went to the doctor is now separated. That explains why it is still swollen. And to top it all off, there is a second fracture down where the knuckle connects to the hand that no one told me about before. He looked at the x-ray, took my hand, and pressed on the other spot. It hurt. Yup, another fracture. Lovely, because that one isn't being treated.

So now he doesn't know what to do next. Either I wait 10 more days, or have thumb surgery at a hand clinic. I have to call him on Monday to find out. He has held onto my x-rays I guess to get a second opinion. I will post them once I get them back.

Personally I would go for the operation at this point. It has been 28 days already. If it's not knitting now, it isn't going to start in the next 10 days. And I NEED my thumb! Also, I have a feeling the bionic thumb led to my downfall. It doesn't prevent my wrist from moving, so my thumb is able to slide and twist around. It is actually always moving. The only thing it can't do inside the boinic thumb is bend. So if they do decide to let it go for 10 more days, they need to give me some other kind of cast thing.

Having said all that, I am seriously considering flying home to have it taken care of. Especially if they can't get me in for treatment of some kind this week. We get two days off next week: the 31 and 1. At least at home they will know what they are doing and I won't be refused treatment or verbally abused in the process of trying to get my freaking thumb fixed!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home