Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Saturday, October 08, 2005

The Lady with the Supersonic Ears

As some of you may recall, a few weeks ago my roommate Gigi and I had a slight mishap with BATS in the middle of the night.

Well. The next day, the old lady who lives below us stopped me on the stairs to tell me that she is an old lady and that she needs her sleep, so if we could please not make any noise after 11pm, she would appreciate it. I apologized and explained that the reason we were stomping around at 1:30am was because we had 6 bats flying around the room. She said she understood, and then repeated the message that we must be quiet after 11pm.

Ok. Fine. I can understand that.

Last week my other roommate Alison had washed the sheets covering the couch and hung them out over the front balcony railing to dry. Then she and Gigi began rearranging the furniture in our living room. It was around 5pm. All of a sudden we hear *knock knock knock* on the door. Actually, we heard the buzzer, but whatever. Guess who?!?!? The old lady. This time her visit was to tell us not to hang our sheets over the front balcony because she doesn't think it looks nice, and to ask us why we were making noise. We told her we were rearranging our living room. She said ok, and then told us not to make noise after 10:30pm because she is old and needs to sleep.

Ok. Fine. A little anal about the sheets maybe, and sorry about the noise, but it was only 5pm.

So last night Gigi, Alison, and I went to a party. When we went to leave, Gigi discovered that someone had spilled red wine all over her jacket and purse. So when we got home at 2am, she put her jacket in the washing machine to prevent it from getting stained. Well, the next morning around 10am, *knock knock knock* on the door. Why were you running the washing machine at 2am? I need to sleep. Please don't make any noise after 10pm.

What the hell???

I am starting to get a little annoyed here. First of all, it's not like we regularly stomp around or do laundry at all hours of the night. In fact, we are usually all in bed before midnight most nights. Secondly, we are quiet. We do not throw parties, or have people over, or even play music! So I am getting a little annoyed at her coming up here complaining to us about how noisy we are. With all due respect, we have to live our lives too, and if that means chasing out bats or cleaning red wine off our clothes, then so be it. I mean, I could understand if we ALWAYS did laundry at 2am. Ok, then you have a right to say something. But one time??? Give me a break.

And how did she even HEAR the washing machine at 2am anyways? My room is right beside the washing machine, and I could barely hear it. She sure has good hearing for an old lady I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home