Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Friday, October 14, 2005

Better Late Than Never

I have got a little caught up this week in all the goings on about which I will shortly update you, my faithful readers. But first let me address a certain thanksgiving issue. It was pointed out to me by SOMEONE that some people still like pie crusts. I however, am not one of those people. And so for you pie crust lovers, I say this: Find your own recipe since I am not going to provide it here.

What I will provide you with, however, is my Bars of Pumpkiny Goodness recipe:

Oatmeal Crust:
3/4 c flour
1/2 c rolled oats (or whatever oats you happen to come across)
1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c butter

1. Combine flour, oats, and sugar in a bowl
2. Add softened butter and mix until crumbly
3. Press in to a 9x9 greased dish
4. Bake at 350 F (176 C for those of you with European ovens. Thank goodness I brought my scientific calculator with me! Does anyone out there actually remember that temperature converting formula?!?!?!) for 15 minutes
5. Remove from oven and let cool

Pumpkin Filling:
16 oz canned pumpkin (or two cups fresh)
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tbsp softened margerine or butter
1 c sugar
1 c milk
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 large eggs

1. Mix pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, flour, and butter in a large bowl (you could blend if you wanted....we just don't have a blender so I didn't)
2. Add sugar, milk, maple syrup, and eggs
3. Mix well, or blend
4. Pour mixture into pan
5. Bake at 425 F (218 C) for 15 minutes
6. Reduce heat to 350 F (176 C) and bake for 45 minutes or until centre is firm and knife comes back clean from the poking test

And that's it! Make it and enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home