Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Monday, November 28, 2005

But You're...Canadian?!?!?

With all that time spent away in the sunny south, I have forgotten just how terribly cold winter can be: brutal wind, plummeting temperatures, precipitation left, right, and centre. Just plain miserable.

I am so cold during the day you can find me with about 3-4 layers of clothes on: tank top, t-shirt, sweater, sometimes another sweater, and my scarf draped around my neck. And this is indoors!

And at night? Forget it. Right now I have 4 layers on my bed. 4!!! Top sheet, duvet in duvet cover, fleece blanket, and down duvet. Plus I sleep fully clothed: socks, flannel pj pants, t-shirt, and sweatshirt. And I still wake up in the middle of the night freezing!!! Although it could have something to do with the fact that they turn the radiators off in the middle of the night so by 5 am they are stone cold. Only in Italy would they think it stands to reason to turn off the heat during the coldest part of the day when everyone is home. So my great idea to move my bed closer to the rad in hopes of staying warm? Not so great.

In fact, it is so cold here in Padova that today I actually went out and bought a hat! *Gasp* I know! She, who doesn't even properly OWN a hat back in Canada, has gone out and actually bought one! Yes, the stark temperature of 2.7 degrees Celcius is just too much to bear for this little lass.

Sad I tell ya. I am the most pathetic excuse for a Canadian I know. I am almost ashamed to admit I am from the land of igloos and polar bears. What will my dogsled team think of me now, eh?

Oh well. Pathetic I may be, but at least I have a cute hat.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home