Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Is For...

AMSTERDAM!

We have spent 5 days in this lovely city, and are preparing to leave at the crack of dawn tomorrow to catch our 6:30 am flight to Berlin.

Of course our journey started off with.....you guessed it.....FLIGHT DELAYS!!! More and more flight delays. *sigh* I tell ya, it is almost enough to put me off my travel bugging around the world! Apparently there was some techincal difficulty with our plane that took longer than expected to fix, so the flight was late leaving Amsterdam, and consequently late leaving Venice with us on board. But the city more than made up for the trouble it took to get here. Amsterdam is lovely with all its canals and gabled houses.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006:
Spent an ungodly amount of time sitting in the small airport in Treviso, Italy. Arrived in Amsterdam safe and sound, and took the train into the city to find our digs.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006:
Woke up and ate a YUMMY Dutch breakfast of omlettes and pancakes! Then we wandered around the city, taking in the lovely sights. We passed by the infamous red light district. Let me tell you that at 2 in the afternoon, there is not much going on, and the hookers are UGLY!!! Then we continued wandering around back down near our place, just getting a feel for the area. Went grocery shopping and then out for Mexican dinner.

Thursday, August 17, 2006:
Divide and conquer! Today I went to the Van Gogh museum and Enzo went to the Navel museum and met up afterwards. We decided that since neither of us had an interest in each other's museums, it would be better that way. We met up around 4, had a bit to eat, and then wandered down the Singel to see some of the interesting facades that were mentioned in Enzo's guidebook. Then we headed back to the apartment. Enzo had a rest while I went out and fetched dinner to bring back.

Friday, August 18, 2006:
Today we went to a little fishing town in the North-Eastern part of Holland called Enkhuizen (pronounced Enk-how-shen). It was really a beautiful little town with lots of sailboats and fishing boats around. There were hardly any tourists there which was nice, so we really got a feel for the Dutch. We even saw a few men wearing wooden clogs! We went to a local restaruant for a fish dinner and then headed back to Amsterdam.

On the way back to our apartment, we decided to pass through the red light district again since Stacy had mentioned that the hot hookers come out at night and the ugly ones work during the days. Well, I must say there there were a lot more out in the windows, and they certainly weren't ugly! I did blush a few times as I passed by the various "live sex show" theatres and sex shops! Oh my! And I have never seen so much drug paraphanelia in my life!

Saturday, August 19, 2006:
Chill day today. We went for a pancake breakfast and then to check out some other parts of the town. I had wanted to see the flower market as well, so we passed through there. Then we got some dinner to take back to the apartment. After that, we headed to a bar at the end of the street for a few drinks.

Sunday, August 20, 2006:
Rainy day! Today we slept in and hung around waiting for the rain to stop so we could go out since neither of us smartly decided to pack an umbrella! And now the rain has let up so we are checking our mail before heading off for more pancakes and whatever other trouble we can get into during our last day here!

More to come at a later date....

6 Comments:

  • At 11:30 pm, August 20, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    SIGH,,,,,,,,
    Para,,,,,,,,
    Don't swat the fly on the wall!
    It's probably me

     
  • At 10:46 am, August 21, 2006, Blogger M said…

    ohhhhhh I love Amsterdam. There was something about it that reminded me of Melbourne - maybe it's all the bloody bikes and trams. lol.

     
  • At 5:57 pm, August 21, 2006, Blogger Raghav said…

    do u ever work ??

     
  • At 11:49 pm, August 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aww Sarah I'm glad you two had a ball in Amsterdam, and I do hope you ate yourselves silly on the pancakes; you can't get 'em in Italy you know. But is there really a museum about bellybuttons and did Enzo really want to see it? Was it really navEl (rather than navAl?) That I REALLY want to see. There's a sexmuseum in Copenhagen but really the bellybutton museum would have me. Did you meet up with Monica btw?

    Continued buon viaggi, love ya from Matty xoxoxox

     
  • At 11:28 pm, August 23, 2006, Blogger Going Somewhere said…

    Gordo: I thought that fly might have been you!;)

    M: Ooohhh....maybe I will have to make Melbourne my next stop!

    Raghav: Indeed I do work. I am a teacher at an international school in Italy, and we get roughly 3 months off for summer break. Oh how I wish I could be on permanent vacation........with a paycheck of course!

    Matty: Smartypants! :P

     
  • At 2:32 am, August 24, 2006, Blogger Trundling Grunt said…

    One thing about the hookers - if you think they're ugly, look at their clientele.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home