Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Sunday, February 22, 2004

It's a Bird, It's a Plane....

It's a roach!

Even since I arrived in this country 6 months ago, I have heard stories about flying cockroaches. Having never seen one fly, and being very opposed to the idea, I chalked these tales up as myths. Until now...

I have been forced to realize through personal experience that yes, roaches can and do fly. It was a very traumatizing discovery. Coming into my apartment building I saw something flying around as George was opening the door. I thought it was a moth (silly me!!!) so I just moved over from where it was flying. When it landed on the ground, I looked over and in horror realized that it was a roach the size of my index finger!!! ICK!!!

Luckily at that point George opened the door and we ran inside with the door closing just in time for the roach to fly into it. It was so disgusting that couldn't stop watching where it was going....until it promptly flew into the plant on MY balcony (I live on the first floor). Not so cool. So of course that brought on another flourish of bug spray (Raid this time...I'm not stupid!) around the sliding doors, just to prevent it from somehow miraculously penetrating through glass and invading my apartment.

Hopefully the rest of the week remains adventureless, as I am at my limit for a while. Plus I can't run too fast with my bruised knee you know! Good thing I didn't meet the one-armed man yesterday!!! Hope everyone is doing well in the cold and snow. At least you don't have flying roaches in Canada! That discovery was just about enough to make me pack up my bags!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home