Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Saturday, August 30, 2003

So Much To Do

I have been so busy this week it is not even funny! I know I am never home. That is because I now live at the school! We have been killing ourselves planning our units and lessons and decorating our classrooms this week. I have gotten 26 hours of sleep since Sunday night last week and it is now the following Saturday (that's 6 days). I have been at the school until 2am two nights in a row. But my classroom is all ready to go! I AM SO EXCITED!!! It is so cute. I have the carpet area with a bookshelf, and on the wall I made a big tree with apples on it with all the kids names on them. On the inside of my door, I have WELCOME TO GRADE THREE in red and blue letters and underneath is a sun (that looks a little stoned--I am still new at this decorating business) and on the rays of the sun are the kids names. My lessons are all planned for the week and I am really excited to meet my kids.

In other news, I am totally loving it here. Last weekend was great because on Saturday night we met another English teacher from a different school who lives in our building and he invited Yolande and I to the teacher party his school was havig that night, so we got to meet a bunch of new people, because up until then we had only been hanging out with two other teachers at our school, and that can get a little boring. So anways, then Sunday Yolande and I went for a walk down one of the main streets towards the ocean. We stumbled across a local vendors' market so we wandred through there, which was way cool. We were the only non-locals there. Then we walked along the ocean front street--el Malecon--and found a great little bar/restaurant place overlooking the ocen with the palm trees arched across a blue sky. It was so beautiful!!!

Today is finally a sunny day. It was sunny on my birthday (three days ago), but then it rained in the late afternoon. It has been raining like crazy every day. When it rains, it pours! And the drainage system in the city is not so great so you end up with huge lakes in the middle of all the streets. It is ridiculous. Then all the frogs come out. You can hear them croaking. At first I didn't know what they were since they sound like ducks a little. Dominican frogs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home