Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Thursday, August 14, 2003

My Dominican Times

Phew! I can't beleive it is Thursday already. As some of you know, it has been an interesting few days getting settled in, etc. Yolande arrived last night, and we stopped along el Malecon ("the strip" where they are having live merengue performances as an appreciation festival for the Pan American Games) for a bit of a Dominican welcome for her.

My apartment is beautiful!!! It is in a gated apartment building and there is a triple lock system for the door: two on the door and one on the gate in front of the door, plus the lock on the door to the apartment building, and the lock to get in the gate out front. It is like Fort Knox. If anyone wanted to mug me, they would have ample time while I am trying to get into my house as it takes me like, 10 minutes to remember which key, which way the lock turns, unlock all the double locks, get into the apartment and relock all the doors with the keys from the inside!!! There are grate/bar things on all the windows and even the balcony, so I feel safe leaving the windows open at night, etc. There is a fully furnished living room, dining room, kitchen, laundry room, maid's room (which is unused since I unfortunately don't have a live in maid) plus a bathroom, the apartment bathroom, Yolande's room, my room with an ensuite bathroom, plus all the closets!!! It is bigger than the condo in Toronto!

The electricity problem I had earlier was simple to fix after all. I short circuited the invertor (backup battery power for when the power goes out-- ha ha) and it just had to be reset. So now that is solved. Phew! And I haven't broken anything else yet!!!

Things at the school are good. We are having orientation at school and around town. Yesterday we did a bit of shopping in the morning so that we know where the places are in relation to the school, etc. Tonight we are going to El Museo de Jamon, which translates as the Ham Museum, so that should be interesting. Then tomorrow we are off to Boca Chica for some sun and fun, and Saturday it is a bus trip to La Romana and then a boat rode to Isla Saona for snorkeling and swimming, plus lunch and sightseeing along the way. All of which is included in our orientation! :)

Santo Domingo is a big city, but not strange, except for the large man-sized holes that sporadically appear in the sidewalks as you amble along. You could seriously get lost in there, so you have to watch out! My swimming in the sewer days are over thank you very much! The
traffic is crazy here, and they do not stop when you cross the street--only if they have time, which they usually don't. And crossing on red lights is a common thing if no cars are coming. The food is pretty good. I have had typical Dominican food, like rice and beans, some type of meat, etc. I have stayed away from the bizarre vegetables so far, but will be venturing that way soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home