Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Monday, October 09, 2006

Dressed or Undressed?

So this morning I was in the bathroom drying my hair when I heard a 'knock knock knock' on the door. I opened the door and what did I see? My roommate standing in the hallway in his boxer shorts and only his boxer shorts. He asked how long I was going to be in the bathroom, and then disappeared back into his room. I thought the whole thing a little strange since a) I had just seen my roommate in his underwear, and b) he didn't seem to be bothered by that.

That got me thinking about things and I remembered a time when one of my boyfriends went out on the balcony to hang up his towel in just his underwear. To me that was a bit strange, but he just replied "It's not like I was naked or anything." Fair enough I suppose.

For my part, I would not go walking around my apartment in my bra and underwear, nor go out on the balcony dressed as such either. It seems that guys consider themselves 'dressed' in only underwear, while I consider myself rather 'undressed' if I'm only wearing underwear.

Is this a guy thing, a girl thing, or only a me thing? Any thoughts?

4 Comments:

  • At 2:40 am, October 10, 2006, Blogger New Homeowner said…

    I think it depends on your relationship to the person you are sharing the space with. With Derek, I wouldn't hesitate to walk around in my underwear (say, if I was looking for my glasses). With another roomate, it would freak me out.

     
  • At 10:59 am, October 11, 2006, Blogger M said…

    I have this theory that all men secretly think they're rock stars and that everyone wants to see them in their undies. ;)

     
  • At 2:33 am, October 12, 2006, Blogger Trundling Grunt said…

    It's a self-image thing. Women feel inadequate about their bodies so don't like being seen in semi-dressed mode. Men are all Adoniseseseseseses and so don't see any reason why not.

    As I understand it (and I only have 50% of the evidence and some hearsay to go on) it extends to the gym changing rooms where men wander round nekked but I gather that women usually use the towel to preserve discretion.

     
  • At 4:51 am, October 20, 2006, Blogger Ramon said…

    it's totally normal for guys... don't sweat it. now, if he gave you some body language to make you think otherwise, then you might want to reconsider...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home