Travel Bug Chronicles

The mis-adventures of those living abroad who sometimes wish they weren't

Friday, May 26, 2006

??? + !!! = ?!?!?

I am a triple punctuator!!! It has been brought to my attention that an e-mail I sent off a few hours ago (from my lovely Gmail account) contains a ridiculous amount of ??? and !!! 's!!!

Sometimes I even use them in conjuntion with each other and end up with ?!?!? at the end of a sentence. How odd is that?!?!?

Indeed, even looking over the posts on my blog, I found several instances of proliferate punctuation!!!

Oh well. I hope no one, lest of all the Grammar Gods, is offended by my excessiveness!!!

6 Comments:

  • At 6:33 pm, May 28, 2006, Blogger Just Say No said…

    They might be offended by that last sentence though... :P

     
  • At 9:31 pm, May 28, 2006, Blogger Going Somewhere said…

    If you are referring to the singular "is," then I will tell you that I was tempted to put "are," but "is" is actually correct since the subject of my sentence is "no one" and as I have learned from all my language courses, the negative is always sigular. At least, that is my reasoning behind it.

     
  • At 9:32 pm, May 28, 2006, Blogger Going Somewhere said…

    *singular

     
  • At 6:15 am, May 29, 2006, Blogger Just Say No said…

    I was referring to the "lest" vs "least". I think you want to be using an adjective, not an adverb--as there is no verb for you to describe... :P

     
  • At 8:02 am, May 29, 2006, Blogger Going Somewhere said…

    Oh. Actually I think that was just a typo. But FYI:

    "The Cambridge Online Dictionary gives the following definition for lest:

    lest
    conjunction
    LITERARY
    in order to prevent any possibility that (something will happen)

    They were afraid to complain about the noise lest they annoyed the people next door.

    Lest you think the film is too violent, I must assure you that it is not."

    http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/grammar/archive/lest.html

     
  • At 5:56 pm, May 29, 2006, Blogger M said…

    Grammar gods have too much time on their hands!!!!!!!! :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home